Once you have verified that you should apply for a study permit and you have received a letter of admission to an educational institution in Canada, please follow these steps to submit a complete application:

Check the processing times

Find out how long it takes to process a standard study permit application at this office so you will know how far in advance to apply. Please note that this is not a guarantee. You are urged to apply early to avoid disappointment.

Determine how you will apply

There are two ways to apply:

Apply online

To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. Determine your eligibility and apply online.

Apply on paper

Please follow steps 3 to 6 below.

Download the application kit and read the instruction guide

The instruction guide contains important information about study permits and instructions to help you complete your application. Read the guide carefully and use the document checklist. Your application may be returned or refused if you do not provide all the requested information, documents and fees.

Application Kit

If you are studying in Quebec, check the provincial guidelines

If you apply to study in the province of Quebec, you will need a Certificate of Acceptance or CAQ from the Quebec government. With your study permit application, you can submit either:
1. The Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ), or
2. The approval letter sent by the Quebec government before the CAQ is issued. This letter contains your CAQ number.

Your application cannot be finalized until we receive a copy of your CAQ or the approval letter. Visit the website of the Quebec government to find out how to apply for a CAQ.

Pay the processing fee

Refer to the fee schedule for the cost to apply for a study permit and how to pay. The processing fee is non-refundable in all cases. If you do not submit the correct fee, your application is considered incomplete and will be returned to you. If you need to give your biometrics, you will also need to pay the $85.

If you need a temporary resident visa, it will be issued at the same time as the study permit, with no extra fee.

If you need a work permit for a co-op term or internship related to your program of studies in Canada, this can be provided at the same time at no extra fee.

If your spouse/common-law partner and/or children are accompanying you and you are applying for temporary resident visas, work permits or study permits for them, then you will need to pay the appropriate processing fees for them.